Juvéderm filler rangeJuvéderm is one of the most famous dermal fillers brands in the market, based on a formula of hyaluronic acid that avoids the use of botulinum toxin for filling folds and wrinkles on the skin.

Hyaluronic acid is the most used compound for the majority of botox-free and minimally invasive fillers in the market. In this article we will describe how Juvéderm has become the most renowned brand of the north-american laboratories Abbvie. 

Juvéderm: brand of Abbvie

The market for the pharmaceutical industry (of which the dermal filler industry is also a part) is small and controlled by few companies. The main reason is that the resources needed to bring a new product to market are only available to brands and companies with large amounts of resources, research capacity and human capital. 

The Juvéderm brand was originally launched by Allergan Laboratories, founded in 1948 in Irvine, California. In 2015 Allergan was acquired by Activis, and recently this company has been acquired by the Abbvie Group, which has come to control all brand and product exploitation rights of Juvéderm.

Allergan, even though the company has now disappeared, is today a world famous brand for being the inventor of botox.

Related posts:

When was Juvéderm launched

Juvéderm was launched and approved in the US market in 2006, after the researches based on the uses and advantages of hyaluronic acid carried out throughout the 90’s determined that it is an ideal substance for soft tissue repair and to conceal wrinkles and scars through minimally invasive aesthetic treatments.

Juvéderm Top DermalOther versions of Juvéderm came out too

After the first version of Juvéderm was approved for release, research began on different versions of the product, which were also approved over the following years: 

Juvéderm in 2020 and in the future

The market for dermal fillers has maintained a line of linear growth for the last 10 years, handling a global turnover of almost $400,000 per year. Although the covid-19 epidemic will surely have an impact on these figures, the growth of the sector is expected to be positive at least for the next decade.

Juvederm Volift before and after

Juvederm Volift before and after

Hyaluronic acid: clearly dominant 

The main advantage that Juvéderm plays with is the fact that it was the first brand of dermal fillers based in hyaluronic acid to be launched in the market. Furthermore, hyaluronic acid-based dermal fillers dominate the dermal filler market by a very wide margin: almost 80% of the products are based on hyaluronic acid, and the remaining 20% are based on another ingredient. In particular, the penetration of the different dermal fillers according to their base ingredient is as follows: 

  1. Hyaluronic acid: 80% 
  2. Calcium Hydroxylapatite: 7% 
  3. Poly-L-lactic acid: 5% 
  4. Other basic ingredients: 8%